Your solar rune is dictated by the position of Sunna’s Chariot (the sun) in the runic wheel at the time of your birth. I think of it as the ‘heroic self’ but you might also refer to it as soul purpose or divine purpose.
As Sunna rides her chariot through the skies she brings light and enlightenment to all the worlds. She is the beacon of hope and the gladdener of hearts. Her own rune, Sowilo, is known as the navigator. Sunna’s Chariot completes a circuit of the runic wheel every year. She spends just over two weeks in the segment of each of the 24 runes of Elder Futhark. These time periods are known as runic ‘half-months’; the half month in which you were born is your solar rune.
- Fehu: 29th June – 14th July
- Uruz: 14th July – 29th July
- Thurisaz: 29th July – 13th August
- Ansuz: 13th August – 29th August
- Raidho: 29th August – 13th September
- Kenaz: 13th September – 28th September
- Gebo: 28th September – 13th October
- Wunjo: 13th October – 28th October
- Hagalaz: 28th October – 13th November
- Nauthiz: 13th November – 28th November
- Isa: 28th November – 13th December
- Jera: 13th December – 28th December
- Eihwaz: 28th December – 13th January
- Perthro: 13th January – 28th January
- Algiz: 28th January – 13th February
- Sowilo: 13th February – 27th February
- Teiwaz: 27th February – 14th March
- Berkano: 14th March – 30th March
- Ehwaz: 30th March – 14th April
- Mannaz: 14th April – 29th April
- Laguz: 29th April – 14th May
- Ingwaz – 14th May – 29th May
- Othala – 29th May – 14th June
- Dagaz – 14th June – 29th June
If you are born within a day or two of the transition point from one runic month to another then it is worth doing an exact calculation as the runic half months change each year. If you purchase any of my birth rune calculations and oracles I will always do an exact calculation for you.
Working with your sun rune
The runes are powerful helpers, guides and energy sources for the individual and collective journey of humanity.
Working with your solar rune helps you manifest the part of yourself most closely linked to the wider purpose of the cosmos. Connecting with it on a daily basis is the most powerful way in which you can bring forth the hero within. Draw it, wear it, seek out its shape around you, chant it, eat it, channel its energies. You will find a multitude of ways to connect with your personal power runes on these pages and in the many books about the mysteries of the runes. By all means open yourself to wisdom, seek guidance and read everything that you can. But remember that the greatest teachers are the runes themselves.
Do I really have an heroic destiny?
Now, more than ever, the world needs heroes. Man’s power to destroy has never been greater and our battle is one of collective rather than individual survival. Runes were born in an age when the battle for survival meant power over others. This is no longer a necessity for us and, indeed, I would go as far as to say it is decidedly unheroic. Power with is much harder, but it is within the grasp of humanity and it is the only way we will collectively survive. Acts of generosity, wisdom, compassion, integrity and non-violence in the face of extremity are the acts of heroes. Sacrificing immediate gratification, making day-to-day choices on the basis of long term impact, and being consciously awake, present and purposeful (even when it’s really painful) are our weapons.
In northern soul lore the eternal part of yourself is known as the valkyria. I believe that the valkyria evolves over multiple lifetimes and, through the evolution of individual souls, the collective consciousness also evolves. Perhaps the divine source (whatever it is, god, science, something else) made the ultimate heroic gesture in giving each of us a part to play in its own evolutionary journey. But that’s just what I believe.