I hope you are enjoying the Magin Rose website. The site launched in 2010 with a mission to provide the highest quality resources to seekers from any tradition, belief and culture looking to learn, experience, grow and transform through work with the runes and the northern tradition.
All material is copyright to Magin Rose and should only be re-produced with permission.
Hello! I am Maggie the founder of Magin Rose. My journey with the runes began in the early 1990s when I saw a rune set on a shelf in my local bookshop. I felt a shudder, like electricity, right through my body and was sold then and there. I have practiced in numerous spiritual, healing, seership, magical and mystical traditions over the years but the runes have remained a constant feature in my life.
- Through Magin Rose I have delivered introductory courses with the runes, training in rune reading and rune practice as well as a six month programme Yggdrasil’s Path which supports individuals through connection to soul clan, the Nine Worlds and personally powerful techniques founded in the northern tradition
- Back in the ‘noughties’ I trained as a shamanic practitioner with Kay Gillard covering practices including soul retrieval, power retrieval, cord cutting, extraction, past life regression, journeying and sound healing. We co-founded our own training practice together developing northern tradition techniques which I further developed through my own work
- I have trained in a number of healing practices including crystal healing, reiki (to mastership level) and stress management
- I was initiatied into the Wiccan Alexandrian fifteen years ago and continue to honour the eight spoked wheel of the year and work in coven
- I have run a number of groups over the years including a northern tradition guild and psychic circle. I practice an exploratory form of seidr in a closed group
- In my ‘non-magical’ life I have two Masters degrees and have worked at a number of universities as a service leader, strategist and consultant. I am a trained coach and currently mentor staff and students. I am now training as a specialist Women’s Leadership Coach.
- Magin Rose on You Tube
- Vs. Duality and conflict in magic, mythology and paganism (contribtor)
- From a Drop of Water (contributor)
- Horns of Power (contributor)
- Hekate: Her Sacred Fires (contributor and cover art)
- Hekate: Keys to the Crossroads (contribtor and cover art)
- Illustrator for Avalonia books
- I was a regular contributor on The Shamanic Voice radio station
My path is an ecclectic one which I know can generate cynicism amongs people who follow a single, well-trodden path. I have sought to navigate my through holding fast to the following values: thorough research to guide my work, respect for the traditions, cultures and human heritage from which the practice stems; reverance and openess to guidance from the divine.
I believe that genuine exploration of a spiritual path enriches the soul. My conception of the ‘woven soul’ which I have found so helpful within the northern tradition provides me with the freedom to recognise I have led whole lifetimes following other traditions and these remain part of me. My guides, gods and teachers are as varied as they are powerful and inspiring. I spent many years wondering why, when others seemed to find themselves within a single tradition, I could not be comfortable within a rigid path dictated by others, nor could I accept that one path was more ‘right’ than another.
As long as I am guided by my values I am now entirely comfortable with the freedom I have to gather the threads I need from across traditions and draw them into my own soul tapestry – it is in the weaving that unity is found and a solid, coherent path is created. The gaps, spaces and tensions between different traditions and spiritual frameworks should not be ignored (and I am not claiming connections where they are none), but for me these points of disruption, uncertainty and contradiction are opportunities for personal discovery, evolution and transformation.
An interview with Magin
Why did you create this site?
I wanted to share my love of all things runic with others who might be new to the path or looking for their next adventure. I think the runes are woefully misrepresented as being a twee divination system on much of the internet. They are so much more than that.
Which rune ‘tribe’ do you belong to?
I am most naturally drawn to the path of the mystic. Having said that I cannot help buying any book about the runes that cross my path and I have trained in multiple seership, magical and healing methods.
What experience do you have?
Much of my rune practice is self-taught from books I have tracked down. I have trained in person with Jack Gale and Katie Gerrard who authored Odin’s Gateway and Seidr the Gate is Open. I undertook my reiki mastership with Kay Gillard and went on to found StarFire Alchemy with her where we co-created a training programme for shamanic practitioners featuring key elements from the northern tradition. I went on to teach practical courses in rune casting and magic and the intensive northern tradition training programme Yggdrasil’s Path. I was also a regular contributor to The Shamanic Voice radio station.
I worked within the Alexandrian Wiccan tradition for a number of years and have led psychic, Hellenic and northern tradition groups. I have also worked in groups exploring Seidr and currently work within a private group.
What do you do when you are not working with the runes?
I am the proud mummy of two wonderful boys and golf widow to my wonderful husband. We love being out of doors, making cakes and being silly in as many ways as possible.
I have been working in education almost as long as I have been working with the runes and currently act as a consultant specalising in strategic change projects and leadership.